Ideally located between the Château d'Azay-le-Rideau and the Château de Chenonceau, the Domaine de la Tortinière is the perfect starting point for visiting the Loire Valley châteaux and will allow you to discover a region rich in French history and vineyards.
The Château du Domaine de la Tortinière, situated just 15 kilometres, or ten minutes by car, from Tours, has fascinated guests since the time of France’s Second Empire. Come and discover the magic of this magnificent hotel-restaurant, with its stunning setting at the heart of the Touraine region and the Loire châteaux, for a stay filled with discovery.
Visiting the Châteaux of the Loire Valley
The Domaine de la Tortinière Château Hotel is ideally located at the heart of the Châteaux of the Loire Valley:
- To the West: between the Indre, Loire and Vienne rivers, you will find the Maison de Balzac in Saché, the Renaissance gem that is the Château d'Azay le Rideau, the Château de Langeais, the Château de Rigny UsséVillandry and the medieval city of Chinon, better known for its superb vintages...
- To the East: the white wine route that runs along the Loire river (Montlouis or Vouvray for example), then the splendid Château de Chenonceau which spans the Cher river, then the Château d'Amboise, château du clos Lucé (leonardo da Vinci) the Château de Chaumont and more.
- To the North: Heading towards Paris, stop off in the charming city of Blois, stronghold of the Valois dynasty and visit the beautiful Château de Blois there, Château de Cheverny and finish with the magnificent Château de Chambord - 440 rooms with a forest view beyond compare.
The Loire Valley has been dubbed "The Garden of France ", and there are some really extraordinary gardens to be discovered here, such as the Prieuré de St Cosmegarden (the delight of Ronsard) or the pure lines of the French gardens at the or the highly original 24 gardens designed by 24 different landscapers from the world over, which can be seen in the park at the Château de Chaumont, from May to the end of October every year.
Activities at the Château
A park stretching over 15 hectares
Various footpaths criss-cross the park, inviting you to take some time out to discover nature. This wooded park has a range of tree species, some of them regional and also some rarer species, like two Japanese pagodas which frame the turrets, magnificent Lebanese cedars and a superb redwood.
A heated outdoor swimming pool
The swimming pool is always open, and we kindly ask guests to respect the tranquil atmosphere. A chalet changing room is available to use next to the swimming pool, equipped with showers and toilets.
Towels are available to borrow at reception.
Pets are not allowed at swimming pool.
Tennis court and table-tennis table
You may use the tennis court during reception opening hours. Please remember to book your court in advance at reception.
Tennis and table-tennis rackets and balls are available for you to borrow.
Cooking Lessons: from March to the end of April (excluding Easter) and mid-October to mid-December only. We organise cooking lessons for groups of 8 people on various themes such as foie gras, macaroons or chocolate... Please contact us for the programme (packages including an overnight stay and evening meal on the Friday night are available).
Cooking lessons can also be organised for 5-night stays, for groups of 8 to 10 people only. To find out the terms and conditions and the programme, please send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The table is available to use in the Renaissance chalet opposite the Château. It may be used from 10am to 10pm, and we ask guests to respect the other users by not making too much noise.
Children are welcome to play as long as they are accompanied by their parents.
Rowing boat on the Indre
The Indre, which flows along the foot of the park, is the perfect place for daydreaming, exploring or fishing thanks to its peaceful course through beautiful countryside.
Borrow our rowing boat and let yourself be carried away by the gentle current...
Futuroscope, 40 minutes away from the Tortinière, is an exciting attraction park offering new shows, large-screen adventures, remastered classics, new interactive trails, astonishing encounters, original events and lots more.
For more information, please visit:
- Horse riding, 5km from the Tortinière:
Écuries les Sablons
- Golf de Touraine, 10 minutes away:
- Wine tasting, visits of prestigious wine cellars, Marc Brédif, le Château Gaudrelle …
- Bicycles available on request for the magnificent "Loire by bike" cycle routes, created especially for cyclists around the Loire Valley, a holder of WORLD HERITAGE OF HUMANITY status since 2003.
Our reception team will be able to recommend unusual tours and walks off the beaten track, especially for you, on request!
The Touraine area is the birthplace of numerous writers such as Ronsard, Balzac and Montaigne. We can tell you how to follow in their footsteps.